Friday 23 January 2015

The grey-pink-cream scarf

grey_pink_cream_striped_scarf
Simple striped pattern in garter stitch

Just before Christmas I borrowed a creative book from the library about knitting and crochet. I thought it is time to do something nice with my evening hours. I always adored knitted things, thinking oh, if only I could make it.

Now that EE is a bit bigger and not hanging from my neck all the time (I always felt bad, selfish even to leave her company to follow my desire), I have more spare time to switch off from active mamahood. So I borrowed this book to take actions. To knit. There was a failed attempt in May. I attended two classes and at the end of the second class the teacher gave me a project, to knit a cardigan to my daughter. She have drowned me right there. Honestly, I wasn't motivated to make a cardigan for the very first project. I only could hold the needles but not the yarn. I lost my appetite for knitting for a few months, but hey, when is the best time to knit if not in winter.

I got tempted with a striped scarf, seemed reasonable for my level (until I know how to knit, no sense to engage in long projects). Short ones will give me the reward of satisfaction. I had 3 balls of grey yarn, the superwash basic merino from Katia. I knew I wanted to colour it up. I found a warm, vivid orange but I was magnetized to a pink (normally I hate pink but love this one) and a cream pure wool dk from Rowan.

grey_pink_cream_striped_scarf

It went easy-peasy, cast on, knit and cast off. BUT the instructions did not mention how to add the next colour, so I just left a bit of yarn hanging, thinking I will sew in at the end. The scarf turned out beautiful but the side where I switched the yarns is ugly. It was too loose and when I knotted the ends it just got worse. The knots are easy unravel. I am so sad that this great scarf (it is so good to look at, the colours are pleasing to the eye) has got an ugly side. I need to find a solution to hide the untidy side. A crochet edging perhaps?

[i] GARTER STITCH - when you knit each row. It looks the same on the back and the front (rows
of raised ridges). It is quite a thick fabric and it does not curl at the edges. Ideal for borders, collars, scarves.

The Knitting and Crochet Bible: The Complete Handbook for Creative Knitting and Crochet Paperback by Claire Crompton & Sue Whiting.

No comments:

Post a Comment